Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hot Winds

*note: this prose is entirely fictional.

it was hot that night.

the summer heat lingered in the street and the warm Santa Ana's were blowing in strong through the windows.

who's ready for some mischief?

the sound of my voice reverberated in my head as the minutes drew on.

I looked around and remembered I was sitting alone. that I had been sitting alone for the past 3 weeks.

I guess sleep is finally catching up with me.

I had thought for a second that maybe I was slipping closer into senility, and at the age of 22 I wouldn't have been surprised.

I've lived a hundred different lives, why am I not surprised that the past few years are catching up with me?

I pondered this idea for a brief moment, and then shook it away.

The end will inevitably come for all of us, I may as well choose where the period is placed.

and it was then that I decided it's best not to think about these things when you have work to do. So I forced myself to stand and reached for my bag.

I let out a long sigh, took one look in the mirror, and then stepped out the door.
well, this city isn't going to burn itself down.

and with that, the hot winds swept us into the darkness.

1 comment:

aleezajbohm said...

i like it a lot. i like the the themes, the lingering ending, and the lack of capital letters. having said that, you start one sentence with "so," and it's capitalized. i just can't tell if you did so on purpose or not.